We recently published the English-language version of our 2014 Report on Sustainable Development. Highlights from this report are detailed below.
At MTS, we view our Sustainable Development Report as a way to illustrate how our business leadership translates to social responsibility as we assess the impact our business decisions have on society, quality of life issues and the environment in our markets. Since 2014, we have focused our corporate social responsibility (CSR) efforts to support the Company’s “3D” (Data, Differentiation and Dividend) business strategy. In addition to upgrading networks, optimizing tariffs for our clients and maintaining a high level of innovation, we take an active part in local communities and implement hundreds of charitable, environmental and social projects. As our support for the community continues, we are pleased to announce that during 2014, MTS’ CSR and charity expenses totalled RUB 815 mln.
Highlights from the 2014 Report on Sustainable Development include:
· We are constantly improving the high-quality communication services we provide to clients and as such, in 2014, we continued to implement the federal social and educational project “Network for All Ages”. This is designed to increase internet literacy among people aged 40 and over, in order to promote modern information technologies and useful online services by helping them acquire practical skills in using the internet for everyday tasks.
· With the support of a variety of partners, MTS has been running “Children on the Internet”, a program launched in 2011 to promote convenient and safe use of the Internet among children, parents and teachers. Since its inception, the program continues to be a success and has been utilized by more than 300,000 children, as well as their parents and teachers.
· MTS continues to encourage its social programs which embrace the volunteer involvement of employees, clients and partners and for the fourth year, MTS volunteers organized the “Green Express”, a campaign designed to support disadvantaged social groups and draw public attention to the problems of social development in Russia.
· MTS supports the national charitable program “Give Good!,” which aims to provide urgent assistance to children who are dealing with serious illnesses. Launched in 2011, the program has proven successful in dispersing funds to children in need; it’s budget in 2014 more than doubled compared to 2013 to RUB 42.1 mln.
· The Company supported the 2014 WWF Earth Hour campaign designed to raise public awareness of the need for a responsible attitude towards nature, with MTS staff taking active part in contests, polls and donations dedicated to the campaign.
While the report is focused on Russia, MTS applies similar CSR philosophy in all of its markets of operations.