We would like to share with you key findings from our report on roaming usage during the New Year holiday season (December 15, 2015 – January 15, 2016).
- As we noted in the report on roaming during summer 2015, the number of Russians travelling abroad continues to decline. During the New Year holidays the number of MTS customers using international roaming fell by 20% year-over-year.
- The volume of calls and sent messages decreased by 29% and 24% respectively.
- At the same time, mobile Internet usage increased by 35% as a result of rising smartphone penetration and increased popularity of our data roaming packages and tariff options.
- Customers are consuming more traffic through social networks and messenger apps. The share of social traffic in total international roaming traffic grew from 30% to 33%, which reflects the importance of Internet as a communication channel.
- Egypt is no longer in the top-10 most popular tourist destinations, while Poland made it to the list. Other than that, the list remains the same as in previous periods: Austria, Belarus, Germany, Italy, Kazakhstan, Thailand, Finland, France, Poland, Ukraine.
- We have registered an increase in the number of foreigners coming to Russia for holidays from the US, the EU, China and even Iran! This translated to growth in guest roaming revenues.
- The number of tourists from the EU and the US grew by 24% and 20% respectively, and they generated 40% more data traffic than a year ago.