BRINGING 900 SCHOOLS AND 20 REGIONS INTO RUSSIA’S INFORMATION AGE
Monday, August 29, 2011
MTS is deeply invested in Russia’s information future, and we’re excited to dedicate both financial and technological resources to the newly-launched Interactive Education Portal Studying with MTS. This massive undertaking, completed in partnership with the State Ministry of Telecommunications and Moscow’s Department of Education’s Center for Information and Analytics) will connect parents, teachers, students and everyone involved in the educational process.
A recent article in The Economist notes how greater parental involvement is helping the next generation to learn. As such, countries are taking steps to make sure parents stay engaged. For example, in Mexico parents can monitor schools’ performance through an online database, ENLACE.
Likewise, here in Russia we want to foster a society hungry for education. We want kids to be eager to learn and to go beyond the classroom. And that is precisely what the Education Portal strives to accomplish.
Below are just some of the highlights of what the portal – which, by the way, is accessible by mobile phone, tablet or any other personal IT-device:
- - Monitors students’ attendance and achievements statistics based on subject matter or class topic
- - Views students’ class schedules, homework assignments and teacher comments
- - Lets teachers and parents communicate interactively, allowing them to exchange ideas or offer suggestions
- - Connects parents through the system’s SMS alerts and newsletter delivery
- - Contains the largest database of educational and developmental content in the form of e-books, audio and video files.
- - Educators can access electronic textbooks, teaching and learn aid
- - Houses popular periodicals, entertainment, games, videos and music
- - ….and students can even order lunch remotely via a cell phone or tablet which reduces time spent in queues and minimizes amount of cash that changes hands in schools.
In the coming months MTS plans to further develop the project’s functionality. For example, one area we’re working on is providing electronic books with all the necessary educational content and programs preinstalled. The program currently encompasses 900 schools in 20 regions across Russia, and we plan to get more schools involved in the project.