MTS RESEARCH: M2M/IOT MARKET IN RUSSIA IS EVOLVING FROM SIM-CARDS TO BIG DATA
Friday, September 23, 2016
We are pleased to share with you a new report on M2M/IoT Market in Russia we produced using MTS’s proprietary data for H1 2016. The key highlihgts of the report are the following:
- Russian M2M/IoT market as of H1 2016 increased 33% from RUB 225 bln to RUB 300 bln year-over-year;
- Market growth has been driven by demand for Big Data solutions. Sales growth can be attributed mainly to devices and apps for analyzing big volumes of data (the share of which grew by 2 percentage points to 55%), software for data analytics (share growth of 1 percentage point to 27%) and to platforms for SIM-cards intellectual management (share growth of 3 percentage points to 20%). On the other hand, simple telematics solutions showed no growth and constituted 1% share in operators’ sales on M2M/IoT market;
- M2M SIM-card market in Russia grew in volume by 30% to 7.8 mln from 6 mln in the previous year. MTS’ share was 52%. MTS served 4 mln M2M SIM-cards by the end of H1 2016, an increase of 25% from H1 2015;
- Total revenue from IoT solutions increased by 1.7x, which reflects an increased contribution from service platforms and software, as well as from sales and maintenance of equipment carried out by MTS’s wholly owned subsidiary, NVision Group. LTE-based products show the highest growth, together with service platforms and software for data analytics from M2M gadgets; overall sales tripled last year;
- Traffic from telematics services on MTS LTE network by the end of H1 2016 increased by 1.6x from H1 2015; 3G-based solutions grew only by 7% and those using 2G-only network solutions decreased by 5%.
You can download the report below.
MTS M2M Report - H1 2016.pdf (888,92 kb)